Shocking Burglary Facts
In the UK it is believed that a burglary is committed every 40 seconds, and with burglary fears on the rise UK wide it is worrying how many homeowners are not putting enough attention into protecting their homes from potential intruders.
· Most Burglaries Happen During The Day – When you think about burglaries most of the time you would imagine someone creeping around in the dead of night unnoticed, however most burglaries actually occur between the hours of 10:00am – 3:00pm so caution is advised throughout the day as well. Burglaries are most common during the day time as this is when most people are out at work and there is last chance of a burglar being seen or disturbed.
· Burglars Don’t Often Take Household Objects – it is rare these days for a burglar to want to steal a tv or sound system. These days thieves are looking for items such as car keys and personal identity information. It is more valuable for a burglar to take documents, passports, laptops and bank cards so that the personal information can be stolen and used to buy items online and even get credit, than it is to take tv’s and other such items. With this said it is worth keeping valuables such as jewellery stored safely out of sight.
· Most Burglars Don’t Carry Equipment – Burglars are opportunists and are experienced at breaking into homes and they know exactly what they are looking for when picking a target. As burglars want to stay unnoticed and have a quick getaway, they wont often carry tools and equipment to break-in. In most cases they use tools or items they find around your home, such as gardening tools, so it is vital that you always put tools and equipment away and keep garages and sheds securely locked at all times.
· 47% of Burglaries Are Done Without Planning – Most convicted burglars reveal that the majority of burglaries they committed were done with a split-second decision after noticing an opportunity. That’s why having visible home security measures will help deter burglars as they won’t see your home as an easy target as they are walking past.
· Most Burglaries Committed Are By People Living Close To You – This is a scary reality, but in most burglary cases the offender will live no more than 2 miles away from the targeted home. It is great having neighbours you can trust, however you need to be carful of who may be watching and learning your daily routine. You can reduce risk by varying your routine as much as possible so that your movements aren’t as predictable and there is no clear time that you home will be empty and for how long. It also helps to keep information about trips and holidays you are taking as quite as possible until after you have been.
· In around 28% Of Burglaries Someone is Home – You may think that if your house is always occupied there is less chance of you being burgled, but in around 3 in every 10 burglaries there is someone at home whist it has been committed! It will help to keep doors and windows locked even when you are in the house as burglars will often try a door to see if it open and simply walk right in!
Here at Dr Locks Ltd we want you to feel as safe and secure as possible in your home, that’s why we offer free home security assessments and security advice and ensure we only fit high security locks that either meet or exceed insurers minimum security requirements.
If you need advice on home security improvements or would like to upgrade some of your current security measures then contact Dr Locks Ltd today - 01904 295 465